Electronic Hook Switch provides a variety of functions for headset calls. The following functionalities are typically standard on the devices:
- Indicating calls on the headset (often also with the telephone ringer switched off)
- Accepting a call via headset
- Ending a call via the headset
- Switching calls between the headset and the telephone receiver
- Adjusting the volume and synchronizing the volume level of the headset and telephone
- Muting the telephone
Depending on the actual product and the phone system used, the Electronic Hook Switch may have some additional features.